Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a talented and passionate senior systems designer to design and develop core systems and mechanics for an unannounced multiplayer project. In this role, you will champion Blizzard’s core value of “Gameplay First” as you provide vision and design insight to cross-discipline team members responsible for core gameplay mechanics.
We are a team of passionate developers who highly value open-minded collaboration, direct feedback, and the eagerness to grab a feature and drive it to Blizzard quality. As a senior systems designer on the team, you will balance your humble and supportive nature with a particularly strong eye for gameplay feel, prioritizing satisfying feedback and intuitive mechanics. By blending your creative vision with your ability to align teams on important goals, you will pitch and refine ideas into simple and targeted executions that are exciting to play.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience designing features, core gameplay mechanics, and meta systems for modern AAA multiplayer titles.
- Analyze, pitch, prototype, and develop core gameplay mechanics and systems for an unannounced project
- Partner with design and leadership in forming and evangelizing the design vision to the rest of the team
- Collaborate with multiple disciplines, ensuring the correct partners are involved and informed throughout the development process
- Lead playtest sessions, building a safe and productive environment for participants to share constructive and actionable feedback
- Create one-page designs, content briefs, system outlines, and whatever other communication tools are necessary for succinctly and effectively communicating vision
- Leverage technical experience to implement systems inside a proprietary design tool
- Gather and provide effective and constructive feedback to the creative staff, providing suggestions and solutions for improvement when applicable
- Ensure consistency, authenticity, and harmony across features, systems, and development efforts
- Remain current on industry trends including: new game genres, new game design methods and techniques, and trending audiovisual excellence
- 6+ years of experience shipping AAA titles in systems design roles
- Multiple shipped titles in a senior role with a history of successful features
- Demonstrated ability to communicate design vision and to align that vision with internal partners and an intended audience
- Exceptional ability to conceptualize, pitch, and implement game systems and features using various tools, technology, and visual language
- Ability to direct, collaborate, and speak critically on gameplay systems, art, and content development
- Collaborative and progressive thinker capable of inspiring large teams toward a unified goal
- Clear understanding of the creative and game development processes
- Extensive experience across multiple genres, including action, FPS, and online games
- A deep passion for and knowledge of Blizzard franchises
- Extraordinary self-motivation and initiative
- A familiarity with scripting languages and a strong foundation in math
- Deep understanding of systems design, player psychology, and emerging industry trends
- Experience with versatile game development tools such as Unity and Unreal
- Resume which must include: A link to your portfolio so that we can see examples of your work
- Cover letter* which should include (highly recommended):
- Why you are interested in joining Blizzard Entertainment
- Your experience and relationship with Blizzard games
- What games you are currently playing
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunities for professional growth. Our people are everything, our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences ever. Join us!